Today was the first on-bike mentoring that half the team and I did. We had originally planned to meet at 8:15AM. We met with Ray and we talked on the side of the road for about 25 minutes. There, he told us about workouts that would help our fitness and makes us stronger cyclists. The workouts would fit any aspect of cycling, whether it was climbing, sprinting, or time trialing. We also discussed the training and racing year and some of our target races, as well as the Sea Otter Road race for this Friday.
The first workout he showed us was the downhill sprint. This was a workout I was familiar with, but I never had a safe place to do it. We went to a traffic-less road, so it was a controlled area to do it. The downhill was about a 5%-6% decline. We were to hit 30 mph, and then at some point sprint on a specific gear as fast as possible. I was able to hit 30, and go up 10 more for a record of 40mph. Not bad, considering I'm not much of a sprinter. But the significance of the workout was to feel the leg speed that a sprint or an attack would demand. It was definitely fast, and I look forward to doing more of those.
The second workout was the VO2Max interval, which we did a 2-minute effort. The workout was brutal but it was effective! We did it on a 4%-5% hill which flattened at the top. Ray told us that he didn't want us to do too many of those, which he again emphasized on how it's not effective to work too hard.
Finally, we talked about the volunteering we would be doing. I told him I would be participating at the BTC Time Trial this coming Saturday (4/16) and that Kenneth and I would be getting footage for a video we will make, as well as printing and handing out posters to promote an upcoming event called Shindig! which will have an auction to fundraise for the Livestrong foundation.
The whole meeting totaled 2:08 hours. (Garmin Data- http://connect.garmin.com/activity/78492351)
Total Mentoring Time Today: 2:08:00 hours
Total Mentoring Time TOTAL: 8:23:00 hours
Total Volunteering Time Today: 0:00:00 hours
Total Volunteering Time Total: 3:00:00 hours
Anticipated Hours: 4/16/11, 5/28/11
No comments:
Post a Comment